do more in summer join us for summer session with pool background an beach ballNew Mental Health services for studentsregister for fall classes with purple background and pic of hands typing on laptopStepping Block and Focus 2 logos

Veterans Services

Need Veterans Certification?

The Veterans Certification Specialist can assist students with the processing of VA forms required for educational benefits. Their primary responsibility is to certify students who are enrolled using Veterans benefits. After admission to the university students should contact the Veterans Certification Specialist to make an appointment to begin the process of applying for their benefits. The following documents are needed when completing an application:

  • DD Form 214
  • Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) (Required for those who are in the National Guard or Reserves)
  • Kicker/Buy up documentation (If eligible)
  • University Fund documentation (If eligible)


Students who need the University to certify their enrollment to the VA in order to receive benefits must notify the Veterans Certification Specialist each semester after registering for classes.

How does certification work?

Students are certified according to VA rules for Full Session or Short Sessions enrolled. A student; for example, who registers for Short Session I and a Full Session term during a semester would be certified separately for each term. The length of the terms is also defined by the VA as beginning with the first day of class and ending with the last day of exams as published in the University's Academic Calendar. The length of the term translates to a number of weeks which is used in conjunction with the number of hours enrolled which equates to the student's training time status (Full time, 3/4 time etc.). Full-time training status requires the student to take 12 or more hours, shorter terms requires less hours. Students should always consult with the Veterans Certification Specialist if they are uncertain about the training status.

University Billing

Students receiving VA benefits are responsible for paying all University bills. Since the VA is required by law to pay students benefits directly, students should plan accordingly to fulfill their financial obligations to the University in a timely manner. The Atlanta processing center normally takes 8-10 weeks to process new education claims.

Veterans Benefits Information

  • Students are encouraged to find information concerning their benefits on the Web at the VA Web site (click here) before meeting with the Veterans Certification Specialist. The site contains information on the various educational benefit programs, payment rates, forms and includes a comprehensive frequently asked questions.
  • The University System of Georgia Veterans Web Site is another site with useful information for veterans.

Priority Registration

Middle Georgia State University Veterans are allowed to register in priority order. For more information on priority registration click here.

Change of Program

The VA requires prompt notification whenever a student changes his or her program. Students who change their majors must immediately visit the Office of the Registrar to meet with a Veterans Certification Specialist to complete a Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) or Form 22-5495 (Chapter 35) to apply for a change of program. The Certification Specialist audits students' majors in the Banner Student Information System to verify that the declared major reported to the VA is correct. Students are notified when they are not in compliance and are requested to complete the required forms for VA approval.

Academic Residency

Middle Georgia State University limits academic residency to no more than twenty-five percent of the degree requirements for all undergraduate degrees for active-duty service members. Academic residency can be completed at any time while active-duty service members are enrolled. Reservists and National Guardsmen on active-duty are covered in the same manner.

Additional resources

CONTACT a Veterans Certification Specialist:

Macon/WR Campus, SLC RM 170

Carolyn Clark
Students with the last name M - Z


Cochran/Eastman/Dublin Campus, Grace Hall RM 207

Alexis Jackson
Students with the last name A - L